Monday, May 11, 2009

Jack's Escape from Sobibor

Fifty years have passed
since I saw Sobibor last,
leaving bitter memories
of my horrible past.

I returned on a bright, sunny day
to its wild flowers and green pastures
during the blooming time of May
to walk once more again
this deadly tree-lined street
called Heaven's Way
where 250.000 Jews
saw their last light of day
before exhaust gases from
tank motors ended their stay,
where they also put my dad
to choke his very life away,
I walked past the lush greenery
and the many-hued flowers
enhancing the peaceful scenery,
where Jews in nineteen forty three
revolted violently to gain liberty,
killing eleven SS officers and guards
attempting to flee to distant parts
but their flight ended too soon
when most prisoners were caught
spelling their final doom,
but fifty escaped to tell their story
of murder, mayhem - bloody, gory,
joining the Polish partisans
in reverence for life's glory.

I picked some flowers
where our heroes took flight
and down on Heaven's Way
where my beloved father died,
looked up at the blue sky,
then, silently, I cried and cried...

Alfred Charasz
Copyright 2009 Alfred Charasz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home